Lifelong Learning Programme

This project has been funded with support from the European Commission.
This web site reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.

Select language

This section of the Pathway through Religions portal provides administrative information for the project contractual partners and for the European Commission and it is password protected.


Homepage > ReligiousSite Map > Map

An interactive didactical map interactive didactical map giving access to sites with a religious relevance.

Back to the Religious Sites List



Place Sainte-Geneviève, 75005 Paris, France



Saint-Étienne-du-Mont is a church in Paris, France, located on the Montagne Sainte-Geneviève in the 5th arrondissement, near the Panthéon. It contains the shrine of St. Geneviève, the patron saint of Paris. The church also contains the tombs of Blaise Pascal and Jean Racine. Jean-Paul Marat is buried in the church's cemetery.

The sculpted tympanum, The Stoning of Saint Stephen, is the work of French sculptor Gabriel-Jules Thomas.

Renowned organist, composer, and improviser Maurice Duruflé held the post of Titular Organist at Saint-Étienne-du-Mont from 1929 until his death in 1986.
The church of Saint-Etienne-du-Mont originated in the abbey of Sainte-Genevieve, where the eponymous saint had been buried in the 6th century. Devoted to the Virgin Mary, then to St. John the Apostle, the place was too small to accommodate all the faithful. In 1222, Pope Honorius III authorized the establishment of an autonomous church, which was devoted this time to St Etienne, then the patron saint of the old cathedral of Paris.

Soon, the new building was overwhelmed by an increasingly dense population: the Sorbonne and many colleges were located on the territory of the parish. It was enlarged in 1328, but a complete reconstruction became necessary from the 15th century. In 1492, the Génovéfain monks donated a portion of their land for the construction of the new church.
During the French Revolution, the church was first closed and then turned into a "Temple of Filial Piety." Catholic worship was restored in 1801, benefiting from the Concordat. The following year, the demolition of the abbey church of Sainte-Genevieve Abbey and the breakthrough Street Clovis made St. Stephen an independent building. Under the Second Empire, the church was restored by Victor Baltard: the front was raised and the statues destroyed by the revolutionaries, were returned. Baltard also built the chapel of catechisms.

On 23 August 1997 Pope John Paul II celebrated Mass there during the visit to Paris on the occasion of World Youth Day.
Interiors and exteriors of Saint-Étienne-du-Mont are featured in both the beginning and finale of Max Ophüls celebrated film The Earrings of Madame de... (1953).

North-West steps of Saint-Étienne-du-Mont are the site of beginnings of Gil Pender's time "slipping" events in Woody Allen's film Midnight in Paris (2011).

Saint-Étienne-du-Mont is mentioned in Ernest Hemingway's novel, A Moveable Feast ( first ed.: 1964).

In the 2010 book Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins one of the characters is named after the church.
Direct visit



  • Eglise Saint-Etienne-du-Mont à Paris
    Located just in the Latin Quarter, next to the Pantheon, the Henri IV Tower and the Sainte Geneviève Library, Saint-Etienne-du-Mont Church is a clever blend of Gothic and Renaissance styles.
    The church of Saint-Etienne-du-Mont is characterized by the presence within it of the tomb of Sainte-Geneviève. This tomb has been buried here since the early 19th century. He used to reside in the abbey church of Sainte-Geneviève Abbey, which was flanked by the Saint-Etienne-du-Mont church.


  • Église Saint-Étienne-du-mont paris 5eme arrondissement
    At the beginning of the 6th century, Clovis, in order to fulfil his vow to the prayer of Clotilde, built a church on the top of the mountain of the Palais des Thermes, which, dedicated first to the apostles Saint Peter and Saint Paul, was later named Saint Genevieve, after Genevieve of Nanterre had been buried there.

    The foundation of Clovis attracted the inhabitants of Paris and the surrounding countryside to the new church, because they had a special devotion to the saint who rested in the basilica. The approaches of Sainte Geneviève were thus gradually covered with houses, and soon it became necessary to provide this new population, composed for the most part of servants and farmers of the abbey's lands, with a special priest for their spiritual needs.

    At first, it was only a simple chaplain who administered the sacraments. The place dedicated to the meetings of its small number of faithful was the crypt or underground chapel existing at the bottom of the church of Sainte-Geneviève itself. This chapel, where the body of the patron saint of Paris rested, first placed under the invocation of the Blessed Virgin, then took the name of Saint-Jean-l'Évangéliste and was called by the people Saint-Jean-du-Mont.

Follow us


This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This web site reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.